Position: School Ground Design Consultant
Location: York Region, GTA, Ontario
School Ground Design Consultant
The Regional Municipality of York and York Catholic District School Board
Term of Contract: 1 day a week part time.
Application deadline: 27 March, 2017
Start date: 3 April, 2017
Do asphalt school grounds make you wince? Do you want to be a part of a national team that is transforming them into diverse, green landscapes for play and learning?
Evergreen is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to making cities flourish. We convene, collaborate and catalyze action to connect people, natural and built worlds. Our goal is to make Canadian cities great places in which to live, move, work, play, learn and thrive.
Evergreen’s award-winning Learning Grounds Program is looking for inspiring individuals to play leadership roles in its ever-expanding work. We are looking for landscape designers that specialize in children’s play and learning landscapes. To find out more about Evergreen Learning Grounds please visit our website: http://www.evergreen.ca
Key areas of responsibility:
- Facilitate a participatory design process at a variety of schools advising on natural school ground design, implementation and maintenance.
- Liaise with school board staff, administration and school stakeholders.
- Deliver school board-wide systems to support school ground play and learning initiatives (e.g. approvals processes, installation and maintenance guidelines, design standards).
- Provide presentations, outreach and workshops to school communities.
- A post-secondary degree in landscape design with emphasis on a participatory design process and at least three years experience.
- Experienced in the design of children’s play and learning landscapes using CSA and AODA design standards and principles.
- Strong presentation and workshop facilitation skills.
- Proven communication skills: phone, email, reports, organization, project management.
- Strong teamwork and relationship-building skills and thrive in a collaborative culture yet are able to work independently with the support and direction of a head office team.
- Proven project management skills with the ability to drive projects from conception through to completion.
- Proficient with MS Office.
- A driver’s licence and access to car
If you care about kids and the environments in which they spend so much of their lives; if you think it’s crucial for children to experience nature and have regular opportunities for hands-on, outdoor play and learning; and if you are excited by the idea of helping schools achieve this on their grounds we’d love to hear from you.
Letters of application, including a resume, may be submitted to:
Evergreen, Manager National Associates
E-mail: dmartin evergreen.ca*
We appreciate all applications; however only those applicants considered for these positions will be contacted for an interview.
When applying, please indicate that you saw this posting at RCEN.ca.