Park and Nursery Assistant, p/t, GreenUP, Peterborough, Ontario
Date posted to RCEN & GoodWork:
Mar 20 2017
Position: Park and Nursery Assistant
Organization: GreenUP Ecology Park
Location: Peterborough, Ontario
The Park and Nursery Assistant will assist with the daily operations and park maintenance of GreenUP Ecology Park from April 25 to October 26, 2017. This is a 22.5hr (3-day) ,part time contract position.
The incumbent will be responsible for park and garden maintenance tasks such as lawn mowing, weeding, watering and garage removal. The Park and Nursery Assistant will also provide customer service during our Garden Market hours, which includes shoveling compost and mulch and assist in the care and selection of the nursery’s trees, shrubs, plants for customers.
GreenUP Ecology Park’s Garden Market is a growing social enterprise whose purpose is to promote and encourage sustainable garden practices and stewardship of natural ecosystems. GreenUP Ecology Park staff offers advice to the public, as well as informative resources about sustainable practices and current urban forest issues.
- Assist in the set up and operation of the Garden Market during designated times on Thursdays from 11- 7pm; Saturdays and Sundays from 9 – 5 pm for the entire duration of the contract.
- Provide professional and courteous service to all customers, park visitors and volunteers
- Provide professional advice on regional native and edible varieties of trees, shrubs and plants for conservation projects as well as urban yards.
- Handle payments in an accurate and professional manner
- Perform park and nursery maintenance including spring set up, potting, weeding, watering, grass cutting, garbage and recycling collection, mulching
- Assist with GreenUP Ecology Park special events and programs as required
Skills and Qualifications
- Post Secondary graduate in related field of study, preferably ecosystem management, horticulture or urban forestry
- Excellent understanding of local ecology and proven experience in nursery operations, or large-scale gardening.
- Excellent interpersonal and verbal communication skills, high degree of flexibility
- Basic accounting skills
- Ability to work effectively under pressure at very busy times
- Experience working with volunteers with varied abilities in a leadership role
- Good physical range of motion: rigorous physical work and heavy lifting is required on a regular basis
- Working in a variety of seasonal weather conditions for extended periods of time
- Aptitude for public speaking, education programming
Terms of Employment
- This is a Casual Hourly Part Time contract commencing April 25, 2017 and concludes on October 26, 2017 as per GreenUP Employee Classification Policy 2015
- Wage: $14 hr + 4% vac pay
- Hours: 22.5 hrs / week
- Must be available evenings and weekends for the entire contract
Reports to GreenUP Landscape Programs Manager
Please forward a cover letter and resume to Marcy Adzich, Manager of Landscape Programs at:
by April 14, 2017.
Reference “ Park Assistant Job Posting “ in the subject line.
We sincerely thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be notified. No phone calls please.
When applying, please indicate that you saw this posting at RCEN.ca.
*Note: e-mail addresses above (if any) have been masked to reduce spam.
To form the correct address, rejoin the two portions, separated with @.
Jobs  |  Add a Job  |  About / Help
The Environmental Jobs board is provided by the Canadian Environmental Network in partnership with GoodWork Canada.
To receive environmental jobs by e-mail, subscribe to GoodWork.
Find GoodWork on: