Landscape Programs Intern, summer job, GreenUP, Peterborough, Ontario
Date posted to RCEN & GoodWork:
Mar 20 2017
SUMMER STUDENT JOB
Position: GreenUP Landscape Programs Intern
Type: summer job / summer student position
Location: Peterborough, Ontario
The GreenUP Landscape Programs Intern will assist with the daily operations and park maintenance of GreenUP Ecology Park from May 8th through July 7th, 2017 at 30 hours per week. This position is supported by Canada Summer Jobs and requires that all candidates must be between the ages of 15 to 30 years who are full-time students, intending to return to their studies in the next school year.
GreenUP Ecology Park is an award winning ecological park in the heart of Peterborough whose purpose is to promote and encourage sustainable practices and stewardship of natural ecosystems. GreenUP Ecology Park is home to a thriving Garden Market and native tree nursery, in addition to hosting summer workshops and community celebrations, school programs, and stewarding 5 interpretive demonstration gardens. GreenUP Ecology Park staff offers advice to the public, as well as informative resources about sustainable practices and current urban forest issues. We are seeking dynamic, responsible, and hard working candidates to join our team in offering excellence in customer service, educational programming, and ecological stewardship to our community.
The incumbent will be responsible for assisting with the successful operation of GreenUP Ecology Park’s Garden Market and native tree nursery, as well as provide support as required for education programs, community events, and park beautification. Daily garden maintenance tasks will include lawn mowing, weeding and watering, and garage removal. The Landscape Programs Intern will also gain experience working in our native tree nursery and Garden Market, which includes assisting customers with compost and mulch sales and providing advice in the care and selection of our nursery’s trees, shrubs, and plants.
- Assist in the set up and operation and closure of the Garden Market and tree nursery during designated times including all weekends from 9am – 5pm and Thursdays from 11am – 7pm.
- Provide professional and courteous service to all customers, park visitors, and volunteers
- Provide professional advice on regional native and edible varieties of trees, shrubs, and plants for conservation projects as well as urban yards.
- Handle payments in an accurate and professional manner
- Perform park and nursery maintenance including spring set up, potting, weeding, watering, grass cutting, garbage and recycling collection, and mulching
- Assist with GreenUP Ecology Park special events and programs as required
- Help with educational programs and Children’s Garden set up and take down
- Other duties as determined by Park Manager
Skills and Qualifications
- Post Secondary graduate in related field of study, preferably ecosystem management, urban forestry, or environmental education
- Excellent understanding of local ecology and proven experience in nursery operations, or large-scale gardening.
- Excellent interpersonal and verbal communication skills, high degree of flexibility
- Basic accounting skills
- Ability to work effectively under pressure at very busy times
- Experience working with volunteers with varied abilities in a leadership role
- Good physical range of motion: rigorous physical work and heavy lifting is required on a regular basis
- Working in a variety of seasonal weather conditions for extended periods of time
- Aptitude for public speaking, education programming, and event planning
Terms of Employment
- This is a Temporary Seasonal position commencing May 8, 2017 and concludes on July 7, 2017. There is a possible extension of work to August 25, 2017 contingent on funding.
- Wage: $13 hour plus 4% vacation pay
- Hours: 30 hours per week, weather dependent
- Must be available Thursdays from 11am – 7pm and all weekends for the entire contract
Reports to GreenUP Landscape Programs Manager
Please forward a cover letter and resume to Marcy Adzich, Manager of Landscape Programs at:
by Friday April 14, 2017.
Reference “GreenUP Landscape Intern Job Posting“ in the subject line.
We sincerely thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be notified. No phone calls please.
This position is supported by Canada Summer Jobs and requires that all candidates must be between the ages of 15 to 30 years who are full-time students, intending to return to their studies in the next school year.
When applying, please indicate that you saw this posting at RCEN.ca.
*Note: e-mail addresses above (if any) have been masked to reduce spam.
To form the correct address, rejoin the two portions, separated with @.
Jobs  |  Add a Job  |  About / Help
The Environmental Jobs board is provided by the Canadian Environmental Network in partnership with GoodWork Canada.
To receive environmental jobs by e-mail, subscribe to GoodWork.
Find GoodWork on: