Bike Works Shop Coordinator, f/t, Evergreen, Toronto, Ontario
Date posted to RCEN & GoodWork:
Mar 16 2017
Position: Bike Works Shop Coordinator
Location: Evergreen Brick Works, Bayview Ave., Toronto, Ontario
Evergreen is a national not-for-profit organization that makes cities more livable. By deepening the connection between people and nature, and empowering Canadians to take a hands-on approach to their urban environments, Evergreen is improving the health of our cities—now and for the future.
Overview: The Bike Works Shop Coordinator is responsible for day-to-day operations of Bike Works at Evergreen Brick Works. Bike Works is a cycling education hub which offers an open and accessible drop-in DIY repair space, learn-to-bike lessons, and mechanical workshops. Our programs are a balance of fee-for-service and free community programs, and the successful candidate will be comfortable working with diverse populations and ability levels.
- Support Project Leader in delivery of Evergreen programs at Evergreen Brick Works, including but not limited to: staffing drop-in DIY Hours, running Learn-to-Bike lessons, and leading mechanical workshops
- Oversee the daily operations of the Bike Works shop, including tracking inventory, administration, and front-line customer service;
- Ensure safe delivery of programs according to Evergreen policies, procedures and training
- Support additional Bike Works programs as needed, including training workshops, trail rides, and special events and celebrations at Evergreen Brick Works;
- Assist in programming tasks as required including evaluation, tracking and administrative tasks; and
- Assist with event planning and logistics including community and partnered event brainstorming, execution, and special events
- Models Evergreen’s Core Values: Collaboration, innovation, accountability and systems approach
- Customer-focus. Anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of internal and external customers/donors to meet or exceed their expectations and receives positive feedback from internal and external customers/donors.
- Flexibility/adaptability. Flexible, versatile and/or tolerant in a changing work environment while maintaining effectiveness and efficiency. Adjust quickly to changing priorities and conditions. Cope effectively with complexity and change.
- Proactivity/Enthusiasm/Persistence. Act without being told what to do. Passionate and excited over work. Can-do attitude. Tenacious and goes the distance to get something done.
- Calm under pressure. Demonstrate composure in stressful situations.
- Communication. Speak, listen and write in a clear, confident, respectful, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
- Other. Able to work independently on specific projects
- Supervised by: Project Leader – Active Living
- Supervises: Volunteers, Interns
- 1-2 years of previous work/volunteer experience in bike-related programming, education and training, or public engagement (or similar)
- Solid understanding of shop operations, including scheduling, inventory, and administration
- Bike mechanic certification – BAM, Barnett’s, Winterbourne or equivalent experience gained in a DIY Bike shop or retail bike setting
- Demonstrated public engagement and customer service skills
- Demonstrated ability to work with diverse populations and ability levels
- CPR/First Aid (or willing to obtain)
- Can Bike 2 Certified (an asset)
- Lifting up to 40lbs
- Working in inclement weather
- Standing for extended periods of time
- Lifting heavy objects on a regular basis
- Doing repetitive tasks with few breaks, etc.
Cover letters and resumes can be submitted by e-mail to:
Please Reference “Bike Works” in the subject line
By Mail to Attention: Human Resources
Centre for Green Cities, Suite 300
Evergreen Brick Works, 550 Bayview Avenue
Toronto, Ontario M4W 3X8
Evergreen welcomes applications from persons of diverse backgrounds and is an equal opportunity employer.
Accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process as required under Evergreens Accommodation policy. Applicants please make your needs known in advance.
We sincerely thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be notified. No phone calls please.
When applying, please indicate that you saw this posting at RCEN.ca.
*Note: e-mail addresses above (if any) have been masked to reduce spam.
To form the correct address, rejoin the two portions, separated with @.
Jobs  |  Add a Job  |  About / Help
The Environmental Jobs board is provided by the Canadian Environmental Network in partnership with GoodWork Canada.
To receive environmental jobs by e-mail, subscribe to GoodWork.
Find GoodWork on: