Community Gardens Engagement Assistant, summer job, Ecosource, Mississauga, Ontario
EDITOR'S NOTE: The deadline for this listing has passed. Unless the text below indicates that late or ongoing applications are welcome, it's probably best not to apply. Look for newer listings at: Jobs.RCEN.ca
Date posted to RCEN & GoodWork:
Mar 15 2017
SUMMER STUDENT JOB
Position: Community Gardens Engagement Assistant
Type: summer job / summer student position
Location: Mississauga, GTA, Ontario
Ecosource is seeking a Community Gardens Engagement Assistant (Summer Student Work Opportunity)
Part-Time, 30hrs per week, May 22 – August 25 2017, dependent on funding
Who we are: Ecosource is an innovative environmental organization that empowers the community to become more environmentally responsible through creative public education. We specialize in hands-on programming that aims to increase environmental sustainability in Peel Region and beyond.
The position: Ecosource is seeking a Summer Student to work as a Community Gardens Engagement Assistant in our Community Gardens programs in Mississauga. The student will support community engagement through the delivery of outdoor, experiential education in organic food gardens.
- Assist with the delivery of community educational workshops and events hosted at Ecosource garden spaces.
- Support food production and daily garden maintenance at Ecosource garden spaces under the supervision of Ecosource staff.
- Coordinate regular email, written and telephone communication with program participants.
- Track garden related program statistics, harvest data, etc.
- Act as a representative of Ecosource at community events to support outreach for community gardening initiatives.
- A passion for food security principles and organic gardening related environmental issues.
- Strong belief in creating social change by empowering individuals and families to produce their own food.
- Food gardening experience (preferred but not essential, training will be provided).
- Willingness to undertake physical tasks in an outdoor setting, in a variety of weather conditions.
- Energetic individual with an ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Highly observant with an attention to detail.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and an ability to deal compassionately with all members of the community.
- Good organizational skills, responsible and creative approach to tasks and problem solving.
- Experience working with volunteers and delivering educational programming to a diverse audience.
- Fluency in a language represented in our gardens community an asset (eg. Punjabi, Urdu, Italian, Gujarati, Tamil).
- Familiarity with the environmental sector and programming in the Region of Peel.
- Valid driver’s license and access to reliable vehicle for transportation.
- Due to requirements of CSJ funding, the successful candidate MUST be 15-29 years of age, legally able to work in Canada, have been enrolled in full-time studies in the previous year and be returning to full time studies in the fall of 2017.
Deadline for application is Wednesday, March 29th 2017 at midnight.
This is a part time position at 30hrs per week, paid at a rate of $11.40 per hour from May 22 – August 25 2017.
Ecosource offers a great work environment with excellent opportunities for skills expansion. Ecosource is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from all qualified persons.
If you are interested, please send a personalized cover letter (maximum 1 page) outlining your fit with our team and this position, and your resume (maximum 2 pages) via e-mail to Coreen Jones at:
with COMMUNITY GARDENS ENGAGEMENT ASSISTANT in the subject line. Documents must be formatted in Microsoft Word or PDF format. Please note that resumes without a cover letter or generic cover letters and resumes, will not be reviewed. We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.
When applying, please indicate that you saw this posting at RCEN.ca.
*Note: e-mail addresses above (if any) have been masked to reduce spam.
To form the correct address, rejoin the two portions, separated with @.
Jobs  |  Add a Job  |  About / Help
The Environmental Jobs board is provided by the Canadian Environmental Network in partnership with GoodWork Canada.
To receive environmental jobs by e-mail, subscribe to GoodWork.
Find GoodWork on: