Stewardship Interns (3), summer jobs, Okanagan Similkameen Stewardship, Penticton BC
Date posted to RCEN & GoodWork:
Mar 13 2017
SUMMER STUDENT POSITIONS
Position: Stewardship Intern
Type: summer job / summer student position
Organization: Okanagan Similkameen Stewardship
Location: Penticton, British Columbia
About Okanagan Similkameen Stewardship Society:
Okanagan Similkameen Stewardship exists to support landowners and communities in conservation, stewardship and enhancement of important habitats throughout the Okanagan and Similkameen valleys of BC. http://www.osstewardship.ca
Based out of Penticton, the Stewardship Interns will work with OSSS staff on the implementation of landowner contact, outreach, habitat improvement, and land management projects. The work is focused on supporting landowners in the stewardship of important wildlife habitats and supporting local communities in conservation initiatives.
- Maintain website & social media, blogging
- Prepare dynamic public information displays and presenting at local community events
- including weekly Farmer’s Markets
- Assist with newsletter articles, press releases, and information sheets or brochures.
- Assist with community stewardship events (i.e. outdoor workshops), including coordination, implementation, and evaluation.
- Assist with manual invasive species control (identification, weed pulling, and preparing management recommendations) to improve important habitat.
- Assist with habitat restoration and enhancement projects, including planting, maintenance of completed projects, watering, mulching and fencing
- Engage local communities in habitat clean ups and green ups
- Anuran call surveys of local wetlands
- Residence creation/Installation of owl nest boxes, swallow boxes and bat boxes
- Promoting use of FrogLog escape ramps by in-ground pool owners along amphibian migration routes
- Assist with landowner contact data collection
- Maintain records as related to activities completed.
- Highly motivated, enthusiastic, adaptable, and self-starting.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; comfortable interacting with the public.
- Able to work independently and as part of a team within a non-profit organization.
- Well-rounded knowledge of local environmental issues.
- Minimum of one year post-secondary education in related field.
- Excellent computer skills including website maintenance and Microsoft Office suite.
- Valid emergency first aid or equivalent.
- Valid Class 5 driver’s license and ability to drive manual transmission truck is an asset.
- Able to work evenings and weekends.
- As a condition of funding, you must be under the age of 30 and returning to school in fall 2017.
- Minimum 1 year of post-secondary education.
Location: Based out of Penticton office. Work will be throughout the Okanagan & Similkameen.
Hours worked: 32-40 hours/week
Hourly wage: $13/hour
Term: early-May through late-August 2017
Contingent on funding approval through Canada Summer Jobs.
Deadline for applications: April 3, 2017 at 9am
Please send email and covering letter indicating how you meet all of the eligibility criteria by email to:
subject line: 2017 SUMMER INTERN
When applying, please indicate that you saw this posting at RCEN.ca.
*Note: e-mail addresses above (if any) have been masked to reduce spam.
To form the correct address, rejoin the two portions, separated with @.
Jobs  |  Add a Job  |  About / Help
The Environmental Jobs board is provided by the Canadian Environmental Network in partnership with GoodWork Canada.
To receive environmental jobs by e-mail, subscribe to GoodWork.
Find GoodWork on: